Thursday, February 23, 2006

Waddiwasi

The Cover Letter - always an indispensible part of the job application process. This is what an ideal cover letter should look like:

Dear yyyyyy,

I am yyyyyyy from zzzzzzz doing aaaaaaa. I am applying for the Internship opportunities in your company. I am especially interested in the field of xxxxx.


I have attached my resume along with the mail for your perusal.

Thank You,

Yours sincerely,

vvvvvv


All very nice, prim and proper, a model of perfection!
After several such cover letters, and searching through the multitude of positions on the infernal company websites, after filling out a 10 page form of bullcrap, I have come to the conclusion that the following cover letter would be far more appropriate:

Dear vvvvv,

I want a job in your company. Why? Simple - Money. I wanna spend huge, buy Porsches and cruise around in them. Frankly, the job description sucks. I mean, what does "must be able to perform with assistance" mean anyway? Do I have any software skills? Sure! About as much as a water buffalo, isn't that enough? What's the point anyway, all codes are always riddled with errors. If they're not, something's wrong.

I have relevant job experience! I have perfected the art of looking busy while doing absolutely nothing the whole day. It was hard work, but I'm sure you'll find that it's an invaluable asset of mine.

I have attached my resume with this mail. Why? I don't know. I know you're not gonna bother reading it anyway. If you did, I wouldn't get asked the same stupid questions at every career fair.

So, give me the job.

Up Yours,

xxxxxxxx



A little extreme? Well, if you've seen "great" companies having job descriptions like:

"Must be able to perform with assistance" (yes, I know what you're thinking)
"Must have sense of urgency" (the loo, anyone?)
"Must be self motivated"
"Must have quality of work"
"Must have pride in work"

one does tend to go a little off the deep end. Especially if the rest of the job description is rather "vague".

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol....up yours too :D which spell from hp is waddiwasi?is it what lupin says to peeves when he shoots the bubblegum up his nose..?yes i know it's sad of me to remember this but hey we're all hp maniacs here...

ps-had to add the word verification it looks a nice stifled abuse- woskenfd

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rofl! loved the letter.
@amy - yeah thats waddiwasi... and the word verification looks like a german swear word. speaking of swear words, i just made the golden discovery that my excellently competent french dictionary has almost all the abuses i can think of!!! \:D/

7:03 AM  
Blogger Shrijit said...

Tch. Make it funnier. And happy anniversary.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey brat, i hadnt been tracking ur blogs for a while - snehal told me abt the job-fair one y'day, so i happened to read it (and the others) now - they are ALL splendid! i am going thru the same predicament and i know how it must feel :)))

you are awesome, brat!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! hilarious. last week our business teacher thought she'd try and teach us how to make "real" resumes...BS 101 in short...

@nenlos: that was pretty much all that me and my friend did during grade 9 french, look up swearwords in the dictionary -- good times.

9:16 AM  
Blogger sanjana said...

Looks like you haven't yet got the
you-have-an-excellent-profile-unfortunately it-is-no-match-for-the-position-we're-looking for letter in reply as yet.

That too after filling out the 10-page bullcrap form.

:-l

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home